Indiana: The mysterious fire poltergeist
In 1941, at his farm near Odon, Indiana. William Hackler finished having breakfast with his family and headed out to his barn. On his way to the barn, he noticed smoke coming out in the upstairs bedroom wall(the house had no electricity). The local volunteer fire department was called and the fire quickly extinguished. However, it was only the start of the Hackler’s family day-long ordeal. After the truck left, another fire broke out, this time in a mattress in an upstairs bedroom. Throughout the day, more fires broke out all over the house some under the gazes of astonished witnesses. By 2 pm, more firefighters were called in and by the end of the day 28 seemingly spontaneous fires were extinguished, including one that started between the covers of a book.
The fires ended as mysteriously as they began. “Believing his house to be haunted by poltergeists,” Hackler tore down the house and built a new one from the reclaimed lumber. Neither he nor his family experienced anything like the odd fire again. The cause of the fires has never been determined.